What is emergency fire pump ?
- It is a fixed emergency fire pump independently driven by self cooled compression ignition engine or an electric motor which power is supply from emergency generator.
- When all the fire pumps are out of action either by disabling the pumps or their source of power, emergency fire pump can still be used.
Where emergency fire pump is fitted in your ship ?
- It is fitted at steering flat, shaft tunnel, forward part of the ship.
- The pump to be located remote from machinery space.
Why emergency fire pump on board ship ?
- It is fitted as alternative means of providing water for fire fighting if a fire in any one compartment could put all the fire pumps out of action either by disabling the pumps of their source of power.
What are the requirements / regulations for emergency fire pump ?
- Passenger ships of 1000 grt and upwards and in cargo ships of 2000 grt and upwards must have fixed emergency fire pump independently driven by a self cooled compression ignition engine or an electric motor driven by electric power from emergency generator.
- It must be located outside the E/R room, in the steering flat, shaft tunnel or in forward part of the ship.
- It must have own suction, total suction head should not exceed 4.5 meters under all conditions of list or trim.
- Pump capacity must not less than 25m3/hr and must be able to deliver two ½ inches bore jet of water having a horizontal throw not less than 40 ft.
- Fuel tank for engine shall contain sufficient fuel to run on full load for at least 3 hrs and reserve fuel for 15hrs, store outside the machinery space.
- The prime mover engine at that unit must be hand started and able to start by one man.
- If the pump is fitted above the water level, priming arrangement must be fitted.
- If diesel engine driven, (a) Easily started in cold condition (zero degree C by hand cranking ), (b) Fuel tank for engine shall contain sufficient to run on full load for at least 3 hrs and (c) Sufficient reserve fuel for 15 hrs, store outside the machinery space.
- If motor driven: emergency power supply heating arrangement to be provided.
What are the requirements / regulations for number of fire pumps on ships ?
- Passenger ship of 4000 GRT and upward at least 3 pumps.
- Passenger ship of < 4000 GRT at least 2.
- Cargo ship of 1000 GRT & above at least 2.
- Cargo ship of < 1000 GRT according to administration.
Oral Guide by – MIN ZAR TAR